ALCHEMY FILM AND MOVING IMAGE FESTIVAL
The festival is the flagship annual event of Alchemy Film & Arts. Founded in 2010 as a three-day event featuring 33 films, it has grown to be one of the leading festivals of experimental film and artists’ moving image. Encompassing 10 installations, five expanded cinema performances, 11 shorts programmes, a filmmakers’ symposium and our much-loved final-day film walk, the 2019 edition screened 147 works across five intense days.
Alchemy takes pride in balancing support for established and emerging artists, and in its policies of inclusion and equality: a core percentage of our festival programme each year consists of work submitted via open call. Likewise, in addition to our ongoing efforts to keep ticket prices as low as possible, we also offer fee waivers for artists unable to pay submission fees. More information about Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival can be found here.
The Communications Assistant will collate and coordinate data regarding films, filmmakers, scheduling and venues, towards the production of Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival’s Festival Guide and Festival Programme. They will incorporate programme information into Alchemy Film & Art’s website, maintain online ticketing systems and manage ticketing during the festival itself.
The Communications Assistant will also assist with marketing, merchandise, and online communication of information to filmmakers and audiences.
- Organise collation of data from filmmakers, venues, funders and festival staff towards the production of printed material
- Work with the festival production team on printing and delivery of festival merchandise and printed materials
- Maintain Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival’s online ticketing system
- Manage the festival Welcome Desk during the festival, being the first point of contact for guests and visitors
- Assist with online marketing and promotion of festival content, considering target audiences and tailored content
- Assist with tailored communication of key aspects of the festival, such as the Festival Programme Launch
- Evaluate social media marketing and reach during the run-up to the festival
- Ensure website content is kept up to date
- Organise distribution of invitations, programme updates and feedback forms, via online platforms such as Survey Monkey and Your Mailing List Provider
- Develop and deliver effective evaluation methods during the festival, working with the Production Associate
- Maximise opportunities for visitors to sign up to the Alchemy Film & Arts mailing list during the Festival
- Provide a final report on communications activities prior to the end of the contract
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong ability to express information effectively
- Strong organisational skills
- Proficiency in proofreading and attention to detail
- Ability to anticipate problems before they arise
- Experience in multi-tasking and working to deadlines in a high-pressured environment
- Knowledge of website maintenance, social media and digital software
- Skilled in the use of spreadsheets and databases for the collation of print-ready information
- Friendly, welcoming and professional manner
- Experience of working in a similar role
Reporting to: Creative Director, Alchemy Film & Arts
Term: 17 February – 8 May 2020
Location: Alchemy Film & Arts, Hawick, Scottish Borders
This contract for services is offered on a freelance, self-employed basis. The parties to this agreement will agree a schedule of deliverables on a month by month basis. The contractor will receive £1125 per month for the first two months, and £1750 for the final month’s work in which delivery will likely require longer hours.
Due to the nature of Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival, the post will often require working during evenings and weekends.
During the festival – including immediately before and after – contractors will be required to be available full-time for a 10-day period from Monday 27 April to Wednesday 6 May.
Please send a CV and Cover Letter outlining your relevant experience and why you’re interested in the role of Communications Assistant to: email@example.com.
Please specify in your email subject heading your name and the role you are applying for.
Deadline: Midnight, Sunday 12 January 2020
Interview: Wednesday 20 January 2020