Alchemy Film & Arts’ Lone Working Policy defines lone working and outlines the organisation’s responsibilities, priorities and procedures in ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all its workers. Alchemy Film & Arts will monitor the implementation and application of this Lone Working Policy to ensure that we reflect and meet expectations and standards put forth below.
This Lone Working Policy outlines:
- Who we are
- How we define lone working
- Our responsibilities to all staff and contractors
- What we expect of all staff and contractors
WHO WE ARE
Alchemy Film & Arts is a cultural organisation invested in film as a means of generating discussion, strengthening community, and stimulating creative thought.
We bring the highest quality experimental film to Hawick and the Scottish Borders, celebrating artistic excellence through a diverse range of year-round events – including community filmmaking opportunities, screenings, exhibitions, commissions, residencies and an internationally renowned annual film festival.
Alchemy Film & Arts is a registered Scottish Charity: SC042142.
HOW WE DEFINE LONE WORKING
We identify lone working to be any situation in which an individual undertakes work in Alchemy’s office/studio, or any venues directly occupied by Alchemy, without close supervision or contact with another colleague. This can include:
- Working alone inside Alchemy’s Heart of Hawick office during or outside of the building’s opening hours
- Working alone inside a venue for which Alchemy is responsible – such as an exhibition or workshop space
OUR RESPONSIBILITIES TO ALL STAFF AND CONTRACTORS
Alchemy Film & Arts is responsible for the health and safety of all its staff, contractors and workers when they are ‘on-site’ undertaking work directly related to Alchemy-contracted deliverables. It is Alchemy’s responsibility to ensure all contractors:
- Understand Heart of Hawick’s fire emergency plan
- Are given relevant contact numbers and appropriate training for any apps/software required for communications
- Know how to alert local emergency services
- Are given an induction to any building or office security procedures as required
- Are given a personal alarm in advance of all lone working
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM ALL STAFF AND CONTRACTORS
Alchemy expects all workers undertaking lone working to adhere to the following measures:
- Agree in advance with a member of senior management the time and date they will be undertaking lone work
- Agree in advance to check in with the same member of senior management via text or phone call every 4 hours, or at the end of their shift if working for less than 4 hours
- Follow all protocols outlined in Heart of Hawick’s fire emergency plan
- Disengage from any exhibition visitors or workshop participants acting in an aggressive or inappropriate manner and notify senior management – only and immediately when it is safe to do so
- Notify senior management and/or emergency services in the event of any unauthorised visitors attempting to enter the building or workspace – only and immediately when it is safe to do so