WELCOME > HOW TO ACCESS
This page contains information on tickets, access measures and other policies at Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival 2023.
PUBLIC TICKETS TO SCREENINGS AND EVENTS
- All cinema screenings and events, except for our Festival Ceilidh, are priced £5 / £7 / £9 on a ‘pay as you can’ basis. No proof of circumstances is required, though we do ask audiences to be honest so that our inclusive pricing model can be sustained.
- Tickets to screenings are available from Heart of Hawick’s box office and website; tickets are also linked to from each individual screening page.
- Our Festival Ceilidh, including Miwa Nagato-Apthorp’s performance, is free to attend but ticketed – booking is essential.
- Entrance to our Saturday 29 April and Sunday 30 April ‘Nightcap’ parties is free with a ticket to any festival cinema screening.
- Booking is not required for our Film Quiz on Sunday 30 April. The quiz begins at 8pm and arriving by 7.30pm is recommended. Participation is £1 per person or £5 per team, with a maximum of six people per team.
DELEGATE TICKETS TO SCREENINGS AND EVENTS
- A limited number of delegates’ tickets are available for each cinema screening and event; delegates should collect tickets from the information desk on the Heart of Hawick mezzanine (first floor) on the day of the screening or event.
- Exhibitions are free to enter without a ticket.
- All films in our cinema screenings have descriptive subtitles.
- All Q&As and introductions to cinema screenings on Saturday 29 April will have BSL interpretation.
- We have partnered with My Sound Cinema to offer a selection of films with audio description from this year’s festival:
Alchemy Feature – Mark Lyken’s Hawick-made feature Notes From a Low Orbit, plus a new short from the artist
Alchemy Focus: Julia Parks – a suite of four new collaboratively made films by Alchemy’s artist in residence
Alchemy Highlights: Culture Collective – a showcase of moving-image work from Scotland’s Culture Collective programme
- Content warnings for all programmes can be found at the top of each programme page and will be visible and read aloud before each cinema screening.
- There are all-gender bathrooms in Heart of Hawick and Unit 4 during the festival.
- A text-only version of our print brochure is available to read and download here.
- Since its 2021 edition, Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival has not listed the premiere status of films in its programme. Alchemy Film & Arts believes premiere policies – whereby a film is disqualified from screening at one event because it was exhibited by another – actively produce competition, disparity and territorialism between artists, communities and curators.
- In the spirit of working together and in solidarity with artists, we invite friends and peer organisations to challenge a global system that can only ever favour those already dictating its terms, and/or those able and inclined to travel long distances to enjoy and participate in art.
ENTRIES AND FEES
- Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival’s line-up consists solely of newly commissioned work and films selected from an open call for entries. We offer a ‘pay what you can’ entry fees system, keeping each tier as low as possible, and also provide whole fee waivers – no questions asked – to any artist in need of one.
- Alchemy Film & Arts pays all artists selected as part of its screening and exhibitions programmes.
WELCOME > HOW TO ACCESS