ALCHEMY FILM AND MOVING IMAGE FESTIVAL
The festival is the flagship annual event of Alchemy Film & Arts. Founded in 2010 as a three-day event featuring 33 films, it has grown to be one of the leading festivals of experimental film and artists’ moving image. Encompassing 10 installations, five expanded cinema performances, 11 shorts programmes, a filmmakers’ symposium and our much-loved final-day film walk, the 2019 edition screened 147 works across five intense days.
Alchemy takes pride in balancing support for established and emerging artists, and in its policies of inclusion and equality: a core percentage of our festival programme each year consists of work submitted via open call. Likewise, in addition to our ongoing efforts to keep ticket prices as low as possible, we also offer fee waivers for artists unable to pay submission fees. More information about Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival can be found here.
The Production Associate will work directly with Alchemy Film & Arts’ Production Director to ensure the successful development and delivery of Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival 2020. This will include key support and assistance in all areas of festival production, from venue scouting and volunteer schedules to filmmaker hospitality and event management during the festival.
This is a new role within the Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival structure, ideal for a motivated individual with skills and experience in events management and a dedication to the film and cultural sector.
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of up to twelve moving image installations, up to thirty screenings, a Film Walk and VIP events across multiple venues in Hawick
- Assist in the organisation of all pre-festival events, volunteer training sessions, and promotional events leading up to the festival
- Venue and event management throughout the festival, across its multiple venues
- Assist the Production Director in the smooth running of festival schedules, including screening programmes, volunteer and team rotas, arrival and departure of guests, and exhibitions installation
- Ensure the coordination and communication of efficient hospitality, including travel and accommodation, for festival guests
- Coordinate guest lists and ticket allocations across the festival
- Work with the festival team to deliver a rewarding volunteer experience and clear volunteer rota
- Production and distribution of festival welcome packs and passes for visitors and guests
- Assist with the branding and visual presence of the festival in the town
- Develop and deliver effective evaluation methods during the festival, working with the Communications Assistant
- Provide a final report on festival production prior to the end of the contract
- Provide Alchemy Film & Arts with a copy of all the working documents related to workon the festival before the end of the contract
- Additional duties or duties different from those described above, related to the core production festival, may also be required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong ability to express information effectively
- Strong organisational skills
- Proficiency in proofreading and attention to detail
- Ability to anticipate problems before they arise
- Experience in multi-tasking and working to deadlines in a high-pressured environment
- Skilled in the use of spreadsheets and databases
- Excellent team-player
- Friendly, welcoming and professional manner
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Experience in events management or festival production
Reporting to: Production Director, Alchemy Film & Arts
Term: 13 January – 8 May 2020
Location: Alchemy Film & Arts, Hawick, Scottish Borders
This contract for services is offered on a freelance, self-employed basis. The parties to this agreement will agree a schedule of deliverables on a month by month basis. The contractor will receive £1750 per month for agreed contracted deliverables.
Due to the nature of Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival, the post will often require working during evenings and weekends.
During the festival – including immediately before and after – contractors will be required to be available full-time for a 10-day period from Monday 27 April to Wednesday 6 May.
Please send a CV and Cover Letter outlining your relevant experience and why you’re interested in the role of Production Associate to: email@example.com.
Please specify in your email subject heading your name and the role you are applying for.
Deadline: Midnight, Monday 25 November 2019
Interview: Monday 9 December 2019