SUBMISSIONS FOR 2022 NOW CLOSED
The twelfth edition of Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival will take place 28 April – 2 May 2022.
This page contains some details about our flagship event, including what filmmakers have said about it. We look forward to announcing the 2022 programme in the spring.
ABOUT OUR FESTIVAL
Alchemy Film & Arts’ flagship event is dedicated to experimental film and artists’ moving image. We screen experimental shorts and feature-length works in cinemas and other spaces in Hawick, and host expanded cinema performances, discussion events, multi-channel installations, walks and other group activities.
We are proud of the warmth, hospitality and professionalism with which we host artists and filmmakers in our Scottish Borders town of 14,000 people, and of the high technical standards with which we screen their work in an inclusive, intimate setting.
Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival has received praise for its curation, care, and critical contributions to the field of experimental film and artists’ moving image in international publications including Art Monthly, ArtReview, MAP Magazine, Sight & Sound, and the Skinny.
For a better understanding of the diverse range of experimental work we present, please browse the programme of our festival’s most recent edition.
We also publish some of our policies, including our Inclusivity Policy, here.
WHAT FILMMAKERS SAY ABOUT OUR FESTIVAL
- I’ve been going to Alchemy for four years now and every year it delights me… Alchemy is a true flagship for inclusion.
- Really had a wonderful time screening with Alchemy! The communication was impeccable and it is clear they love filmmakers.
- Wonderful curation, beautiful festival, a dream for experimental filmmakers!
- A truly wonderful film festival, run by people who are professional and passionate about experimental film. Both of these traits shine consistently through every step of the process.
- One of the best festivals out there.
DEADLINES AND ENTRY FEES
- Earlybird Deadline/Entry Fee – 24 September 2021/£5
- Regular Deadline/Entry Fee – 26 November 2021/£10
- We are happy to offer fee waivers to any artist in need of one. Get in touch here – no questions asked!
- We also waive fees for anyone who lives in the Scottish Borders. Get in touch here if you are a Scottish Borders resident.
- We have no restrictions on the premiere status of a film, though prefer not to screen work that has already been widely shown in Scotland. We will also favour work completed after 1 January 2021.
- We have increased our screening fees for all work selected from submissions:
— £100 per short or medium-length film (less than 60 minutes)
— £200 per feature-length film (more than 60 minutes)
- All payments will be made via PayPal after the Festival.
FORMATS AND CAPTIONS
- We screen films from DCP and 16mm, and can accept most other common digital formats.
- We are providing all films with captions/Subtitles for D/deaf and Hard of Hearing audiences (SDH), in the event captions/SDH are not already available.
SELECTION AND PRINT TRAFFIC
- All notifications of selection will be sent out in early March 2022 if not before.
- Final screening copies should be received by us within 4 weeks of notification.
- In the case of digital files, we prefer to receive final screening copies electronically – i.e., via Dropbox, WeTransfer or download link.
- We hold ourselves to the highest standards when it comes to communication and the screening of your work; we test all digital files and work closely with our partners and screening venues to ensure your work is shown in the highest standard possible. For this reason we ask that all selected films are transferred to us in advance of test screenings. So as not to impact other selected filmmakers, failure to meet these deadlines may result in your film being withdrawn from our programme.
- We take a great deal of care each year to curate a meaningful and critically engaging programme. Once a film is selected and invitation is accepted, a filmmaker may not withdraw their film from the programme.
HOW TO SUBMIT
All short and feature-length films intended to be shown in a cinema should be submitted via our FilmFreeway portal: